Monday, July 13, 2009

The Simplicity of Life

So I'm taking a break from the 'nanny' portion of my blog to share a eureka I recently had. However, before I explain my amazing revelation, I must share this picture of a princess I have the privilege of hanging with every day. This is what happens when you give 3 year olds too much cake:



Anyway, I went camping this past weekend with my brother and friends and had an amazing realization: camping makes people happier. Now, I realize I live in Idaho. And in Idaho, it's not weird for people to come up in the grocery line and ask you why you're buying barbecue sauce and suddenly invite themselves to your party. I wish I was exaggerating.

It didn't matter what we were doing, hiking, biking, swimming... everyone was helpful and excited to talk to us!

I guess there's something to be said about the simplicity of life. When you take away the 'toys' (which seem SO NEEDED)... what is left is rest, peace, and relaxation. Sure, sleeping in a tent is not the warmest nor the most comfortable, but when your biggest stress in life is whether or not your marshmallow is going to be 'perfectly bronzed' then the other things just seem to melt in the wind. Take a look at your life and ask yourself.. is all this stuff really bringing more to my life or really taking it away?


Our amazing campsite!


So maybe Emma had more stress than simply roasting the perfect mallow.... ;)

2 comments:

smilen4god said...

Jacque those are such great thoughts about the stresses of life!!

Anonymous said...

this is my fave blog ever on camping. we usually do it october-march here in FL. miss it bad in the summer...but i can't handle the heat!

yeah..and idaho grocery stores must have a lot in common with iowa....