Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Day... Not for the single?

I remember when I was about 8. I was obsessed with the idea of my dad sending me flowers on Valentines Day. But they couldn't be just ANY flowers. They had to be the kind of flowers with baby's breath. Yes, baby's breath. When I get something in my mind, I won't STOP until I see it actualized.

My dad has always been so good to me. His unconditional love has showed me that I don't NEED the affection of a guy to be happy. His love has made me content with being single and being faithful to who God has called me to be, whether single or otherwise (oh, and he did, of course, send me those flowers on vday... I got them in the middle of class and felt like a QUEEN!).

Valentines Day is one of my favorite days of the year. With the sudden declaration of that fact, most single girls look at me like I have just grown a second head and mumble something about it being singles awareness day. Isn't Valentines Day a day to celebrate romance? What if you don't HAVE someone to romance? Then deduction would conclude.. it is merely a day to remember that fact!

However, today, February 14 of 2009, I want to blow this theory out of the water. Valentines Day is a day to celebrate LOVE. My mom always made this day so special growing up, with a candlelight dinner during the evening, complete with gifts for everyone, and a nice meal and lots of chocolate! It was a reminder that we were loved.

THAT, my blogging friends, is what Valentines Day is about, just a reminder that you are loved. So be thankful today, hug someone you love, eat lots of chocolate, and revel in the fact that above all, GOD is LOVE. He will love us unconditionally, no matter who may or may not love us on this earth!

Ok, I'm going to make a big brunch with all the girls. Happy Valentines Day! *muah!*

6 comments:

Esther said...

Very sweet post! So glad your parents made V-day a special one for you.

dprensner said...

Preach Sister! I say if you are having a tough time with Valentines Day...look around you for someone to encourage because I guarantee that there is someone would is having a tougher time than you. And it will make you happy to make someone else happy!

And from the sound of it, you encourage a lot of people on this day! Great Job! :)

*reyanna* said...

Awww... I love this. And I am single right now, so I needed this. :) Thank you. :)

Unknown said...

That's well said! It encourages me to make it special for my kids, and husband. :)
Love you girl!

SarahTiramisu said...

I wholeheartedly agree! Beautiful!

JHalmes said...

Thank you for the blog comment! I am really looking forward to the bible study. I have seen the bracelets on the website and LOVE them. I will mention it at our first meeting tomorrow.
I love your blog post. I completely agree about Valentine's Day, and I am not single.