Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Art of a Letter...

My grandmother is a letter QUEEN. Even at almost 89, she still sits and writes letters to family and friends almost every day! You know the kind: envelope, stamp... handwriting.

I fear this is a lost art in my generation.

Don't get me wrong. Some days, I check my Email before my feet hit the floor. My text message notification sound makes me SO happy... and I rush to grab my phone to see what the digital message may say. I use the internet to share pictures, stories, even videos at the click of a button. But sometimes I wonder if all this GREAT stuff is replacing something truly personal and wonderful.

There's nothing like going to the mailbox, sifting through the advertisements and bills, to see your name written in REAL handwriting in a card-sized envelope. It's almost like holding a piece of the sender... for they took time, sat down, and wrote their thoughts and feelings, all the while with your face in mind.

I have done my best to keep up with the writings of my grandmother. I try and reply to all her questions in similar manner. However, as the busyness of life takes over, I find myself sitting down and starting the letter with 'Dear Grandma K, thank you for your letter. However, I was just wondering... WHY DON'T YOU HAVE EMAIL AGAIN??'

Then I stop, ponder the simple life she lives, and wonder if all my technology is really 'better' after all. It certainly is FASTER, but should we sacrifice the art of personalization for speed? I want to make it my goal to be intentional about connecting with people in more personal ways. At the end of the day, relationships are what we all treasure most.

I think I'm going to dust off my stationary, sit down, and write Grandma K a letter. Perhaps in a week or so, I just may find a reply hidden in my mailbox.

No comments: