Thursday, December 18, 2008

Traditions!


I am part of a family who LOVES Christmas. After the traditional weekend-after-Thanksgiving decorating, I walked around my house in awe, and counted 6 Christmas trees (and rumor has it, my mom has buckled and added a seventh ‘Music Tree’ in her bedroom!). I used to think all our traditions and celebrations were normal…. That is, until I expressed details to my co-workers recently.

I HATE commercial Christmas, even though I find myself going to the Christmas-music-only radio stations, singing ‘Rudolf’ just as loud as the next guy. This year I have actually tried to make most of my gifts… starting in October enables more thought into each one (not to mention the discovery of a buried sewing ability!!). The traditions my family embraces are for the sole purpose of celebration, of taking time once a year to grow closer in our relationships with each other, and mostly, to celebrate, with unhindered passion, the reason we are alive – to adore Jesus, who came for each of us personally and sacrificed everything!

So, blogging world, I am going to share with you just a few of our traditions, starting with the day after Thanksgiving (because of course that’s when the Christmas season officially starts!) in hopes you will adapt, or maybe just smile and appreciate, a few of the following:

1. The night of Thanksgiving, we watch the cheesy family Christmas movie ‘All I Want for Christmas” as a teaser for the next days’ activities

2. The morning of that ‘black Friday’ we wake up super early to join the other million crazy people in the mall taking advantage of ‘door busters’ and free things…REALLY valuable items like mini-Mickey Mouse snow globes…

3. After taking a nap to make up for the lost sleep the night before, we blare Christmas music, drink peppermint mochas, and help my dad prepare for the evening – his famous TURKEY SOUP!

4. We have people over to eat the turkey yumminess, bundle up and…

5. Go to ‘Christmas in the Nighttime Sky’ the charity event our small town puts on which celebrates the first day of the Christmas season with fireworks choreographed to Christmas music, famous Idaho baked potatoes, a HUGE bonfire, and hot chocolate stands. The cost of admission is one unwrapped toy, donated to these kids.

6. Tons of Christmas baking (our last name isn’t SWEET for nothing)

7. Christmas caroling to neighbors – with plates of goodies as love offerings

8. Intensive searches for new, fun Christmas music

9. Starting on December 13, we begin the ’12 days of Christmas’ with a needy family, or simply a family we want to reach out to. Each day, we anonymously leave a gift on their front doorstep with a poem. (‘on the first day of Christmas… etc…). On Christmas Eve, we show up on their front door, sing to them, and present them with the big final gift.

10. ZILLIONS of Christmas productions (this used to be worse when we were little)

11. Christmas Eve is taco soup night (with my dad being the ultimate chef). Christmas eve service is followed by lots of laughter and fun with friends around the candle-lit table, Kenny G serenading us in the background with his Holiday album (if you haven’t heard it, you NEED to… it’s amazing)

12. While my parents pull together last-minute things, and my dad begins the cooking frenzy, me and the brothers cuddle up by the tree and put on ‘Preacher’s Wife”… our Christmas eve traditional movie!

13. After “Preacher’s Wife” we fall asleep under/by the Christmas tree, where we wait all night for Santa to come… (Jeff usually ends up on the couch… SHOCKER!)

14. The next morning, we have a strict 7am rule with the parentals. Before then, we can wake up and open our stockings, which usually includes small items from the dollar store, and cards from our grandparents and uncles and aunts.

15. Right at 7, we jump on our parents, excited for Christmas morning! It usually takes several minutes, but they eventually roll out of bed, start the coffee, then… it’s present time!!!!!!!!

16. We open gifts slowly, really relishing the moment. One at a time, taking turns… making it last as long as possible

17. After presents and clean up, my dad immediately heads to the kitchen (do I see a pattern here???) to finish up breakfast

18. We eat a huge and yummy breakfast, then spend the rest of the day eating, laughing, playing games, sleeping, and watching movies. If it’s snowing (which I’m earnestly hoping/praying for THIS year!) we make snowmen or go sledding.

I hope you have enjoyed our Christmas traditions. I know most sound quite childish, but they really are great, and provide stable moments in our year. I always have a good case of nostalgia, which makes me excited for the years to come… when we add spouses and eventually kids to the mix. How great is it to be part of FAMILY!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm exhausted already.

jacquesweet said...

oh Kaatje. I know you're ready to jump in and join us! Only hours left now!!!

p said...

they're great. tfs.