Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Time to Get the Coffee


‘Everybody has a day when they have to get the coffee. Today’s your day.”

The line from a movie I recently watched on the airplane is still running through my head. In the plot, this young man is working for a political group, and moves to Washington DC to begin his ‘glamorous job.’ He begins his first meeting with his boss by submitting some ideas he has for the group, and after laughing, his superior gives him his first task: to run out and get coffee for everyone. As I sat there, trying to pass the time on my flight from Washington DC to Denver, I stopped as I heard those words. There have been many ‘coffee fetching’ moments in my life. Times when I was the one running around, trying to get the little administrative details finished, times when I truly lived the meaning of laying my life down in service to others.

However, as I ponder this more, and look back on my many times of ‘getting coffee’ (literal and otherwise) I think about the motives behind the actions. In the instance of this young man, he clearly did not fulfill the wishes of his superior because he had a heart to serve him. On the contrary, it was very obvious he didn’t like the task he was given one bit! The reason this young man put up with the ‘coffee fetching days’ is because he saw greater days on the horizon. He was climbing a ladder of success, and this was but one rung he must pass to reach the top.

“If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.” – Mark 8:34-35 (NIV)

The Message Bible sums it up this way:
"Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for? “

I remember laying in bed at night as a little girl, dreaming of who I would become. During the Winter Olympic games, it was always a professional ice skater. After attending a fun summer camp, it was always one of the members of the cafeteria staff. Sometimes, it was even a teacher, after I had been profoundly impacted by one.

As I got older, I began to start catching the heart of God and passion for what HE had called me to do. I began to pursue those things, and in my mind, had mapped out how my life would go. When high school graduation day came, I had a rude awakening, for the path I had envisioned did not exactly go as planned. Instead of a life full of fame and glamour, His voice was urging me towards one of training and service.

I am now 25, and can confidently say the greatest honor I have ever had is the honor of coming alongside someone, and truly serving them. To lay down your life may seem mundane, difficult, and uncomfortable (and it is all of these at times!) however, the reward far outweighs the cost.

So what is the motive of service to us as as young men and women who want to change the world? Is it to climb another rung on the proverbial ladder? Is it to puff ourselves up so the world can reward our service? Absolutely not. I know we all have a passion to change the world. Great! Instead of striving to be in the limelight, find someone you can serve. From the oldest to the youngest, EVERYONE has someone they can lay their life down for.

I encourage you today to take some time. Think about your life. Who has God called you to serve? What are you doing to make your mark on your world? The greatest tasks in life are the ones unseen – do not despise what God is calling you, no matter how big or how small.

1 comment:

Messenger International said...

fabulous! you have the heart of Jesus!